Dichroic Glass Expert! Look Out!


Okay so I'm not quite a dichroic glass expert but I do have far more knowledge of it than I did at this time yesterday. First things first, Joan is awesome. Her house is awesome, her cats are awesome and her studio is super awesome. The fact that she sent me home with food makes her all that much more....awesome.


Now about dichroic glass jewelry-it is comprised of sheets of glass painted with a mixture of magnesium and titanium. The magnesium/titanium mixture was invented by NASA, believe it or not NOT for making jewelry with but someone thought it would be neat for jewelry and voila. Joan purchases squares of dichroic glass with a myriad of patterns on them, meticulously cuts out sizes and shapes, layers the glass, and fuses it all together. The patterns are sprayed on then sealed in a vacuum chamber. The real creativity comes out when Joan picks random designs and patterns and layers them in ways that you wouldn't think would work until you see the finished product and think "That looks amazing. It works perfectly"


I definitely have a much better understanding of dichroic glass jewelry now after Joan's demonstration but I'm definitely not an expert on the subject so don't quote me on any of the above details. I did get distracted petting Joan's cat, and her house is awesome so that distracted me, and I have a short attention span, and...and...hm, lost my train of thought. So anyway, if anyone knows more about dichroic glass and disagrees with any of the above statements by all means, let me know. Preferably let me know in person as I generally like to arm wrestle as a means of settling disputes.

Comments